Tel: (818) 347-9665 PST

TheMuseumSFV@gmail.com

www.TheMuseumSFV.org




Thursday, February 12, 2009

SLIDES OF NEON - ART AND CULTURE - PLEASURE AND PAIN

Simple Simon Neon Sign - Photo by Gerald Fecht - Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2009 (click on image to enlarge) 2009 The Year of Valley History
When I began taking pictures of neon signs and art in the 1970s, I did so simply to excite my Moorpark College Humanities students to pay more attention to the world around them. Because, as our Museum Advisor David Quick, would likely tell us, neon is one of the most important forms of modern creative expression. (David is one of the founders of the Museum of Neon Art in Los Angeles). Alas, not thinking that I might someday be working to preserve popular culture and contemporary art as part of the mission of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley, I didn't keep very good records of when and where the neon images were photographed.

Sail Fish Neon Sign - Photo by Gerald Fecht - Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2009 (click on image to enlarge)
I'm pretty sure I took this picture when my wife and I were going to an evening performance of the Gay Men's Chorus at the Alex Theatre in Glendale.
Become an agent for historical and cultural information. If you know where any of these neon images are (or were) located drop The Museum an e-mail: jerry@anchoreducation.com

Female Diver Neon Sign - Photo by Gerald Fecht - Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2009 (click on image to enlarge) 2009 The Year of Valley History
Is neon an appropriate medium for artistic expression? What's your view?


Whisky Jug Neon Sign - Photo by Gerald Fecht - Archives of The Museum of the San Fernando Valley 2009 (click on image to enlarge)
Looking at Neon Art is a real pleasure for me. Trying to figure out, where I took the picture is a pain in my record keeping.

The San Fernando Valley, in the heart of the Creative Capital of the World, deserves a great Museum of history and culture.

3 comments:

babbling brook said...

Is it art? Absolutely! I, too, was taking neon photos around the city in the early 80s. I am going to find some of those prints. The Museum of Neon Art was one of my favorite places. Loved all the kinetic things, too.
Phyllis

Gerald R. Fecht said...

Will you share your neon treasures with The Museum of the San Fernando Valley?
Jerry
David Quick co-wrote a book on kinetic art.

Gerald R. Fecht said...
This comment has been removed by the author.